It is better to die on one’s feet than to live on one’s knees. – Emiliano Zapata, Mexican Revolutionary
Do you want:
- Human rights to be central to U.S. foreign policy?
- To stop violations of human rights?
- To end weapons sales in the hemisphere?
- To promote economic policies that will end poverty and benefit all people?
- To protect workers’ rights?
- To encourage fair trade?
- To safeguard the environment?
- To promote peace with justice?
- To promote non-discrimination of immigrants regardless of their immigration status?
Join Friends of Latin America!
Volunteer Opportunities and Membership:
Annual membership dues are $15.
Make checks payable to FoLA.
Fill out the membership form and mail your information with your payment to:
6336 Sandchain Rd.
Columbia, MD. 21045.
- Attend monthly meetings
- Help with events
- Make phone calls to let others know about events and emergencies
- Visit, phone or send letters to Congress
- Participate in civil or political actions
This is what we are about. We plant the seeds that one day will grow. We water seeds already planted, knowing that they hold future promise. We lay foundations that will need further development. We provide yeast that produces far beyond our capabilities. We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that. . . We may never see the end results, but that is the difference between the master builder and the worker. We are workers, not master builders; ministers, not messiahs. We are prophets of a future not our own. – Oscar Romero, Archbishop of San Salvador, 1977-1980
True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar; it is not haphazard and superficial. It comes to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring. A true revolution of values will soon look uneasily on the glaring contrast of poverty and wealth. With righteous indignation, it will look across the seas and see individual capitalists of the West investing huge sums of money in Asia, Africa and South America, only to take the profits out with no concern for the social betterment of the countries, and say: ‘This is not just.’ It will look at our alliance with the landed gentry of Latin America and say: ‘This is not just.’ The Western arrogance of feeling that it has everything to teach others and nothing to learn from them is not just. – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.